The Marji Gesick 100 - Because Everyone Needs to be Knocked Down a Peg or Seven


September 23, 2017
The short version of this story is I had planned for the Marji Gesick 100 to be my last race of the season, the proverbial feather in the hat of a great race season. Instead, I ended up taking a rock to the side of my rear wheel which meant it would only hold air for 10-15 minutes at a time before I would have to stop and pump it up. At mile 67, a scheduled stop for some nutrition and water, I called it a day before I damaged my bike further or myself for that matter; the last thing I need would be for the tire to let go while flying down a rock covered, tree lined descent sending me into something with the destructive force of a Mac truck. But I cannot let that be the end of my season, I am adding one more race, the Lowell 50 (actually 57 miles), a gravel road race at the end of October.
Now for the full version. On Friday, Laurie and I made the 6.5 hour drive up to Marquette. Just after crossing the Mackinaw Bridge Laurie saw a post that said a serious storm was moving into the Marquette area and bringing some torrential rain. This is just what a course that for the previous two years had a finish rate of less than 50% in good conditions needed. And it was not wrong, we drove through the storm between Munising and Marquette. Oh well, no point in dwelling on weather, I had a race and Saturday was looking like a nice enough day, albeit a hot one. At packet pickup I had the chance to chat with Chris Latta who was there representing Hammer Nutrition. He was also giving out all sorts of Hammer products for the day ahead; it is great to have such amazing support from a sponsor that has been nothing short of great all season.
Skipping to Saturday morning, we rolled into the starting area at about 6:00 and were told the start was being pushed back 30 minutes to 7:30 which I actually preferred. The race last year started 30 minutes late as well and it meant the sun was up for the start instead of riding the first 25 minutes in the dark, and I had every intention of finishing in under 12 hours and claiming a second belt buckle.
7:25 – The final race instructions and warnings were given, the National Anthem was played (on a bass guitar) and the traditional bottle rocket start gun was launched. Nearly 400 racers were off on the le mans start. The first few miles of the race really lulls you in to a false sense of what you are getting into for the day, much of it is fire road and two track with a few minor climbs but for the most part it is just fast. Five miles or so in you hit the first single track which again is mainly fast with a few rocks here and there but nothing serious. Then you hit the first obstacle of the day, an incredibly steep descent that is nothing but moss and slime covered rock. On a good day it is ridable, on race day it was not and I walked my bike for the first of many times. From there it is mostly single track, and I do not mean the kind of single track where you can pick one of many lines while you pedal away and think about whatever song was one the radio when you got out of the car. I mean the kind of single track that is completely covered with sharp, wet rocks whose sole purpose is to eat your tires and make your life miserable. There is no line, there is only a best guess of where you might be able to make it through, and for the most part I did. A number of times my rear tire would spin and all forward momentum would cease. In one spot my front wheel was forced sidewise and I went over the bars.
Around mile 17 we did get a nice reprieve, a new section of flow trail, complete with a small jump line. I actually did find myself smiling in this section hoping it would continue for a long time. It did not. More rocks, sharper wet rocks with lots of short steep climbs and descents. Between mile 10 and mile 30 where I met Laurie for a bottle swap and a new camelback, I averaged a whole 9.1 miles per hour and at this point I was in the top 15 and feeling good.
After a sprint down a paved bike path through Marquette we came to the South Trails, which is when I first noticed my rear tire was soft, although I did not think much of it at the time. This section of trails was one of the more forgiving of the day with not too many rocks or roots and picking a good line was rewarded with some speed. When I stopped at the first checkpoint to pick up a token (to prove I followed the course) I pumped up my rear tire and went on my way and thus my problems began. I finished this section, rode through the first timing checkpoint, and stopped briefly at the first unofficial aid station for a refill of HEED before heading to ride the backside of Marquette Mountain.
My recollection of this section from last year was one of climbing, climbing and more climbing with lots of wet spots and even more rocks (again the kind that want nothing more than to eat your soul and bring an early demise to your tires). It turns out my recollection was pretty accurate and my tires decided they wanted nothing to do with wet rocks. My front tire was in a pretty constant state of not going where I pointed it and my rear tire would lose traction and spin if I even looked at a mildly damp rock strewn climb. With all that said it only took me around five or ten more minutes longer than last year to complete this section, and much of that can be attributed to a second stop to pump up my rear tire.
I came through to the front side of Marquette Mountain incredibly frustrated. I joke about my tires not working well in the conditions but in all honesty I have never had such a hard time getting traction or keeping my bike pointed in the right direction. There were more times than I care to mention were my rear tire would just let go on a short punchy climb and there I stopped. And on these climbs there was not really a way to get moving again so up I hiked. When I stopped at the Marquette Mountain parking lot to meet up with Laurie for another pit stop I got off my bike, sat in a chair and just took a few minutes to clear my head; I was mentally in a bad place and I knew I had to fix it or I was going to hate the rest of the day.
After a few minutes, with my head mostly on straight and my rear tire pumped up yet again, I set off on my way toward Negaunee. There really is not much of note in this section of trail except it just goes up. Nothing too steep or crazy, just constant. However, this was the beginning of the end of my day. 20 minutes after leaving the parking lot I noticed my rear tire was once again soft so I stopped to fill it. From here on out the amount of time my tire would hold pressure got shorter and shorter; 20 minutes dropped to 18, then 15 and by the time I finally reached Jackson Park in Negaunee 2 hours and 15 minutes later, a section of trail that should have taken a little over 1 hour and 30 minutes, my tire would only hold air for about 10 minutes and I was mentally done. Every time I stopped I got more frustrated and every time it took just a little longer for my legs to want to get going again. It got to the point where I never really could get into a rhythm which took a further toll on me mentally, and physically.
It was during one of these numerous stops that I discovered the reason for my troubles, a rock took a bite out of the side of my rear rim. I could see the Stan’s bubbling out of it and there was no way to get it to seal while on course. At Jackson Park I made the incredibly difficult but ultimately wise decision to call it a day. Could I have kept riding, probably, in a way, but with the course that was remaining that would just be asking to get myself hurt or break my bike. Riding with a soft tire on a course that requires ever bit of skill I have would likely end with a burped tire either stranding me miles from anywhere or worse throwing me into a tree, down a hill or into some rocks; none of which would have ended well for me. Game Over.
Whether you want to call it good news or not, the course was every bit as demanding, brutal and just plain painful as I remember it being last year. Also good, my training and nutrition were spot on and I have no doubt I would have finished the race had I not broken my wheel; the twelve-hour buckle may have been a bit out of reach this year though. Am I going to do the race again: not on a hardtail but I think a full suspension bike is going to join the stable in the near future.
I really have to thank Hammer NutritionESI GripsRudy Project North America and of course Laurie for all the support they have given so far this season. The preparation Hammer Nutrition has helped instill in me (as far as fuel and water) really paid off during the race. I had plenty of fuel for myself and was even able to share some of the extra I brought along with people who ran out midrace (I think the 90+ degree heat was a bit more than a lot of people were prepared for) not to mention all the water Laurie gave out at each of the spots we met up since of course she had about a gallon more than I was going to need at each stop.
It was a tough day, and I just cannot end my season with a mechanical issue so I am back to training and will be ready to rock at the Lowell 50 at the end of October.






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts