The Trek CrossRip 1; reviewed by me

The Trek CrossRip1: A quick a dirty review
Trek Stock Photo
Trek wanted me to review this bike so much that they…did nothing. In fact, I rented this bike to race the Lowell 50 but you already knew that. Enough of me trying to be funny.

My quick first impressions were of a bike that fit my proportions well, at 5’ 8” or 9” a size 54 was perfect once I flipped the stem and moved a few spacers to the top to lower the bars. Sitting on a trainer I felt like I was in a position that would be comfortable for a few hour ride. (It was).

Once I got the bike on the road I did notice a lack of power from the TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes; although I chalked that up to them being new. After a bit of adjustment to get them to grab a little earlier in the lever pull, a number of high speed stops and cleaning off the rotors they were better; although I still would not be comfortable with them on my mountain bike. But this really is a pretty small gripe. They work, I am just used to more stopping power.

On the gravel roads around Lowell, the CrossRip felt planted and held lines and turns well; I never felt like I had to scrub speed to make a turn at an intersection or slow at sandy or rocky sections of road. I did not get a chance to ride any technical sections so I cannot comment on exactly how it would handle the tight and twisties. My guess is with the long wheelbase (104.3 cm) and very relaxed geometry it would not be the best bike for the job, but it is not intended to. This is a bike for the local bike path or back roads, not bombing the local mtb trail.

The Sora drivetrain components worked. Every time I tried to shift a gear it would shift. The shifts were not the quickest or most satisfying, but they always happened. For the price of a Sora drivetrain you can’t complain.

The one area I felt this bike was really let down was the wheelset, which were a set of no name Bontrager wheels. They were heavy and sluggish and did not want to do anything like climbing…or accelerating. They were fine on the flats and ok holding speed but it has been a while since I rode a wheel that I could feel flex and twist under power and it is not a feeling I have missed.

Overall, this is a solid bike with capable components and a good frame, I may have just pushed it a bit beyond what it was intended for while racing it at Lowell. For the price ($959.99 at www.trekbikes.com) you get a good bike for cruising the local bike path or gravel road exploring. An eventual wheel upgrade could also make this into a solid entry level race bike.

For a look at all the specs and geometry check out Trek's website:


Comments

Popular Posts