My Race May be Cancelled, But I Am Not.

My Race May Be Cancelled, But I Am Not. 
The question is what do with all that training, fitness and the giant hole in the calendar.

The road goes on and on.

Last weekend was supposed to be my first mountain bike race of the year. Unfortunately, it was not to be.

Here was the original plan: Train, train, train all winter and early spring. Get fast, well, faster anyway. Be ready to start my race season with the Wildcat Mountain Bike Race in Morristown, TN on April 4th. Crush race season and take over the world. Okay, slight exaggeration; crush race season and have a great time may be a bit more realistic.

My early season training went mostly to plan. I made a few adjustment here and there for a bad idea or two; namely participating in Polar Roll (I wouldn’t call what I did racing, but I had a great time) and a fundraiser for Haven House put on by the Capital City Cycling Club (112 miles and 6 trainer hours later my legs were a bit spent for a while). Other than these deviations my training was going very well. I was feeling fit and strong.

Then the world got flipped-turned upside down.
(If you didn’t just start singing the Fresh Prince theme song there may be something wrong with you).

Dirty Bird Events (the crew who put on the race) had no choice but to postpone the event, which is now rescheduled for October 24th, and I was left with a lot of fitness and a big blank spot on my calendar. I even had a day off work so I could drive to the race. I was planning to head out after work Thursday and drive about halfway to Morristown. I would finish the drive Friday morning with plenty of time to set up base camp and get in a lap or two of the course for recon. The race is an 8-hour endurance event, the object is to complete as many laps of the 7.8 mile course as possible in the allotted 8 hours plus finish whatever lap you are on. The last lap can start up to the race clock reaching 7:59:59, as long as you are on course. The person with the most laps wins. If two or more people have the same number of laps, the first one to finish the last laps win.

The email you expected but still did not want to receive.

So, the question is, what to do with myself? I could just work. I could lay around the house and relax (yeah right) or I could come up with my own “event”.

Choice three it is.

I didn’t really want to drive anywhere to ride, so mountain biking was out of the picture. I also didn’t want to scramble and have to make any last-minute changes to my route. With the threat of rain early in the week gravel was out as an option as well. Road it is. No big deal, eight hours of race pace riding is eight hours of race pacing riding.

I did some quick math and figured I should be able to do about 150 miles when I included time to stop back at my house to refuel, change clothes and any other dawdling I chose to do. I did not really want to ride the same small loop on the road just because it can be so hard to get into a rhythm or groove, so I came up with three loops all starting and ending at my house. 

At exactly 9:54 am Friday morning (Friday’s weather was much nicer than Saturday’s forecast) I set out on my first 51-mile leg of the day. The temp was in the mid-40’s but the sun was coming out and warming things quickly. The first ten miles were all on roads I ride pretty regularly, but then I was able to head north in search of one of the few Strava segments than can pass for a climb in the Lansing area: Barry Road Hill Climb. It is not really much of a climb so I made a loop within my loop to ride it twice


Part of me wanted to really hammer it on this segment to see if I could get the KOM, I’ve only ridden it once before, but a much more reasonable part of me said I was only a little over 20 miles into a 150 mile day. I split the difference and went fairly hard the first time through and rather easy on the second attempt. No KOM or PR; on my first effort I rolled through the segment about 3 seconds slower than my PR, which would have been good enough for 4th overall if I wasn’t already in 3rd.  After this section I had a nice tailwind back to my house, I was able to push my average speed up to 20.5 mph without burning too many matches.

Leg 1:
Distance: 52.1 miles
Ride Time: 2:29:59
Avg Speed: 20.5 mph
Elevation Gain: 1,345 ft (yeah it’s flat here)

I stopped back at my house, refilled my bottles with some Café Latte Perpetuem (my favorite endurance fuel) and took of my base layer because the sun was out and in full force now with the temp pushing 60 and rising.

For leg number two I went in search of a nice rolling road west of Lansing. Again, this is an area I don’t ride too often, but need to ride more. The first 15 miles was uneventful with a bit more traffic than I expected for an early Friday afternoon when everyone is supposed to be home, but oh well. I eventually made it to Otto Rd and the rollers began. The next 10 miles were so enjoyable I decided to make a slight change to the route and ride that section of road back instead of doing the loop I had planned. It was more enjoyable and there was basically no traffic, a win-win. The last 15 miles was the same as the first except I was fighting a slight cross-headwind. I did manage to keep the pace up as I surpassed 100 miles for the day in about 4hr 55min of ride time. When I made it back to my house my mileage was at grand total of just over 108 miles for the day and there was lots of time remaining for one more leg.


 Leg 2:
Distance: 57.2 miles
Ride Time: 2:50:48
Avg Speed: 20.1 mph
Elevation Gain: 1,572 ft
Ride Time: 5:20:47
Overall Distance: 108.43

Time for leg #3, here I go again on my own, riding down the only road I’ve ever known. Scratch that last line, I already used a song lyric.

Anyway, I was feeling pretty worn; I could tell I had well over a hundred miles on my legs for the day, but I don’t know how to quit. I do, however, know how to ride smart and choose routes that help with the mental aspect of a long day in the saddle. That is why loop number three was a very familiar one, it is the same route we use for out Tuesday Night Rides. This was a good choice for three reasons: 1 – it was the right length to get me just over 150 miles for the day, B – I would never have to ride for that long straight into the headwind, and 3 – I would know exactly where I was and what I had left to do.



Again, to compare this to if I were actually racing; the race is over a less than 8-mile loop, in 8 hours I would probably manage 10 or so laps and by lap 3 I would have it all but memorized. On the last lap I would definitely know where I was and how much further I had to go.

So I set out, pushing the pace as much as I could for the final 42 miles, but not near as fast as I was going earlier in the day. More headwind, but the sun was out and I was smiling. About halfway through this loop I stopped to take a quick picture for no other reason than I could. I did not stop for long though, letting my legs cool down would be a bad idea. My last 5 miles were with a nice tailwind on a decent road and I couldn’t help but think how great of an idea this ride had been.

Leg 3:
Distance: 42.3 miles
Ride Time: 2:00:09
Avg Speed: 19.5 mph
Elevation Gain: 948 ft
Ride Time: 7:30:56
Overall Distance: 150.74
Elapsed Time: 8:18:48 (No I would not have had as much down time if I were racing)



I’m not trying to motivate anyone or set an example, we all know I am not someone anybody should emulate, but sometimes we all have to find a way to make ourselves smile, if just for a minute. Or in this case, a bit over eight hours. Right now, my days are long and often stressful. I’m working a full-time job (from my basement, not the office) trying to teach my kids-or at least help them get some schoolwork done and trying to be a decent parent all the while. Often, I’m trying to do all three at the same time. But on the bike. This is my place. My chance to free my mind. My escape from reality and responsibility. It helps keep me sane in an otherwise insane time. Pushing those last few miles hurt, my legs and lungs were burning, but it was exactly where I needed to be and exactly what I needed to be doing.

There was no race, no real finish line, no mildly bemused spectators but it did not matter. I tested my legs, put in a great effort, saw the results of all the hours I’ve spent on the trainer and best of all I had a great day. Maybe not the day I had originally planned, but a great day none the less.

My second race, the Cohutta 100, has also been postponed and you can bet I will be doing something equally as ridiculous, if not more so and loving every minute of it. So, if you have any great, or really bad, ideas I am open to suggestions.

And I almost forgot to mention, I got the start of some much needed tan lines!

Fuel: Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem, Fizz,  BCAA+ Caps and Anti-Fatigue Caps. 


This may be a picture from a different ride, but it was exactly how I felt.


Comments

Popular Posts