Trying not to get lost in the crowd (or I am just really bad at this blogging thing) – My 2017 wrap up and 2018 preview


One of my best memories from the 2017 was when I attended the “Big Bear Butt Cruise” (a Hammer Nutrition sponsored event). I had received a free entry and was sent an email from the event director (Bob) to bring to check-in. When I arrived, the first thing the volunteers said was, “Bob told us you were coming, did you really come all the way from Montana?” After explaining that I was in fact from Lansing, just a few hours away, we all had a good laugh and I was affectionately dubbed “Mr. Montana” (thanks Laurie). 

During the ride I stopped at just about every aid station and took some time to talk to volunteers, who nearly all spotted the Hammer kit and asked if I “came all the way from Montana”. Somehow during the course of the day the “Mr. Montana” name got ahead of me and at a few of the aid stations I was greeted with a warm “Hey, Mr. Montana”. This event was a great chance for me to promote Hammer Nutrition outside of racing as these enthusiastic greetings tended to garner much attention from those around, leading to numerous conversations about the many Hammer Nutrition products at the aid stations. At the end of the day I do not think I can count the number of people I spoke with, but many were just getting into biking and were extremely grateful for the advice and encouragement.


Heading out for 200k on the MMM course
Riding the Ability Tour with the Cinnaire Crew

A few other major highlights from 2017 include: being accepted as a Hammer Nutrition Sponsored Athlete (www.hammernutrition.com), followed shortly by more sponsorship opportunities from ESI Grips (www.esigrips.com) and Rudy Project (www.e-rudy.com). For the first time ever I was able to finish a 100 mile mountain bike race in under 7 hours at the Hanson Hills 100 (I took first overall as well). I crushed my goal of being in the top 20 at Lumberjack 100 (17th place) where I also knocked nearly 15 minutes off my time from 2016 when conditions made for an arguably faster course. I was also able to defend my title by finishing first overall at the Bay City Driathlon (canoe-bike-run). Lastly, I manage to log 9,831 miles during the year, considering my goal was 8,500 I will call that a success.


The season was not all roses and chocolates, while racing the 12 Hours of Hanson Hills I had a bit of a run in with a tree which messed up my knuckle on my right hand. I was able to win the race but riding for the next two weeks was limited to the trainer and even then it was painful. At Marji Gesick my rear wheel got in a fight with a rock and lost, resulting in my only DNF of the year; really my first DNF since 2014 when my cleat ripped out of my shoe at Addison Oaks. That was a major let down as MG was slated as my last race of the year and I really wanted to earn my second belt buckle – check these videos out and you will see why:

Maybe not the best pre-race fuel
2018 is shaping up to be even better than 2017. I have once again been chosen to represent Hammer Nutrition as a Sponsored Athlete as well as continuing to work with ESI Grips and Rudy Project; I have also been able to bring Wolf Tooth Components on board (www.wolftoothcomponents.com). My training thus far has been going exceedingly well (except for the part where I think it may be trying to destroy my legs) and I have a very exciting first half of the year planned:

4/28 – Cohutta 100 (NUE)
5/18 -  Coast to Coast Gravel Grinder; a 210+ mile gravel race from the east coast of Michigan to the West (www.micoasttocoast.com)
6/2 – Mohican 100 (NUE)
6/16 – Lumberjack 100 (NUE)
7/28 – Wilderness 101 (NUE)

I am still working on the plan for the remainder of the season, but this will get me the four races needed to be ranked in the NUE series standings (www.nuemtb.com) with a few more available later in the year if something goes awry at any of these. I also have a personal goal to log over 10,000 miles for the year.

Needless to say it is going to be a very busy few months with all this riding, racing and training; all while working full time in the real world and being a present and engaged father and husband.

With all that said, here is to a great 2018 and if you have any questions about nutrition or are looking for a new helmet, sunglasses or grips let me know and I will gladly give you some advice and I may be able to get a nice discount too. 

Getting a ride in while in AZ for work
Bay City Driathlon Podium

Comments

Popular Posts