Mohican or Mud-hican 100

Racers as far as the eye can see

To start, Yes, Yes and Yes.
Yes, the course was just as difficult as I remember from last year; yes, there was still lots of mud to make it even worse; yes, I brought my ear plugs. This will make a lot more sense if you read my report from last year.

Here is last year's:

This was my second time racing the Mohican 100 so I felt a little better prepared than last year but it is still an extremely challenging course with a history of wet and muddy conditions making it even worse than it needs to be; and it did not disappoint this time around.

Getting Ready
I drove down to Loudenville, OH late Friday and arrived just in time to check in, drop off my drop bags and set up my tent. While sitting around the fire and relaxing before heading off to bed a group of campers a few sites over started getting a bit rowdy and I had a strange feeling it was the same group of guys who kept me up most of the night last year; it sure sounded like them anyway. Not to worry, I had my trusty ear plugs. It turns out I did not have anything to worry about because they quieted down nice and early and I got a pretty good night’s sleep. Brett and Jackie (the people I was sharing a campsite with) did say the neighbors on the other side of us were a bit loud, but I did not hear a thing.

A small portion of the 600+ racers rolling along the paved start

Race Day
I woke up nice and early like I usually do, had a small bowl of cereal and some coffee and got myself all set to go. Bibs, HR strap, Jersey, nutrition; check. With everything set to go Brett and I rode to Jeron’s campsite so he could ride over to the start with us. The ride over is about two miles on a bike path so it really is just a chance to make sure everything is in race shape on my bike and I am awake and ready to go.

We rolled up to the start line at about 6:30 and somehow about half of the 600+ racers were already there. It kind of makes me wonder what time people start lining up. I made a quick pit stop at the restroom to try and avoid a repeat of Cohutta’s excessive nature breaks then found a spot right near the front of the group. As the time ticked down and more people showed up, I found myself in the second row with plenty of room to maneuver.

A video of the start, the action starts about 8:30 into this if you want to jump right to it:

After a few announcements and the National Anthem the race was started with a neutral rollout through town to the base of the first hill. The controlled pace technically ended but only one person attacked while the rest of us rode on at a pretty easy pace for the first 4 miles of paved roads. At mile four we turned on to a gravel road and the pace picked up a bit and the pack started to spread out, which is really good because after a mile of gravel the route pinches right down to go through a gate and on to the first trail of the day. Oh, and the first of the mud. I made it though in a good spot but after no more than a few hundred yards the front of me (including my glasses) was pretty much covered in mud, and did I mention there was a lot of mud?

Here is a video of the pack rolling along the gravel, it also shows just how many people are racing: 

We hit the singletrack of Mohican State Park about 6.5 miles into the day. This part of the course was in great shape, I almost want to say we had some hero dirt going on. I was third in a line of three guys not far behind the lead pack, but almost immediately one guy picked a bad line and had to stop long of enough for me to pass and he was not able to get back on the line. After another mile or so I passed the other guy on a climb and basically rode from there until about mile 60 by myself. Talk about a long lonely day. Near the end of this singletrack section there was one very nice change to the course, the climb affectionately known as “Big Ass Climb” had been removed and a section of trail that was actually ridable was substituted; one less climb to push my bike up. One section that had not been changed was the water bars on the horse trail, and they were as muddy as ever. 

This video by MTBShack shows a section of these starting at about the 2:00 min mark

This of course was followed by even more mud and a nice hike-a-bike, because what would the Mohican be if you could actually ride it all?

The next 30 or so miles is really a bit of a blur that consisted of some crazy steep gravel road climbs and a rock garden that was wet and moss covered. I was able to ride most of the rock garden until my right heal hit the side of a large rock which popped my cleat out of my pedal. Instead of trying to get it clipped back in and risk bashing my face into something much harder than it, I stopped and pushed my bike the rest of the way though. I’m pretty sure there was a small stream crossing or two and a whole lot more mud, but again, I think I may have tried to block most of this race out of my memory so I will go back next year.

Not everything was covered in mud

I hit the final section of singletrack (mile 92) and the thought occurred to me that I might actually be able to finish in under 8 hours. If I could keep anywhere near my average pace for the day I would be right there. But reality struck about 30 seconds down the trail when I caught a 100k rider who would just not let me pass. I asked nicely a couple times but he stayed right in the way, even when there was enough room to get by he would manage to cut in front of me an not let me pass. After he bounced his handlebars off a couple trees he finally got caught up on some roots and I was able to get by. I like to think I am pretty patient when it comes to passing during these races, but this was the first time I remember starting to get upset; but then again I have never had anyone actively not let me pass and the kicker is we were not even racing against each other. I know a little courtesy goes a long way on the trail, but it does need to go both ways.

About two minutes later I caught up with another 100k rider. This time it was in a section of trail that had no room to pass. I waited behind her for probably no longer than a minute (that felt like ten) until the trail opened up a bit on a climb. She very graciously let me by, but it was one of those passes that hurts way more than it should. Up a root covered climb with a nice drop off on my side of the trail. Of course, I spun my rear tire and almost stopped as I was passing, but I was able to bunny hop my bike forward and over the root I was getting hung up on.

What would giant rocks be if they were not covered in moss

Cramp. One mile to go and I could feel the first twinges of a cramp in my right quad. I actually started talking to it at this point because I was so close, but unfortunately I knew I was not going to break 8 hours so I let up a little on the climbs to keep my leg from completely cramping up. 8 hours came and went and I had a little over a half mile to go. I rode back through Mohican Adventures Campground, down the hill we climbed so early in the day and back across a bridge to the final quarter mile paved path to the finish line. I was a little bummed I did not hit 8 hours, but I crossed the line in 8 hours, 3 minutes, 26 seconds in 12th place in the men’s open.

I was tired and sore; but done.
I attempted to do math and determined I was some amount of minutes faster than last year; but after I had some food and enough time to regain some mental capacity I figured out I finished over 22 minutes faster than last year. Suddenly I was not so concerned about that 8 hour mark, because that was a huge gain. I want to attribute that gain to my awesomeness, but I think switching from a hard tail to riding a full suspension bike this year made a huge difference. I will still take a little credit, all that time in the basement on the trainer has to count for something.


How was round two of Mohican?
Last year I said this was the second hardest course I have raced and after this round I am sticking by that. Course conditions change so much from mile to mile that you almost never have the right tire and in many places unless you have a bulldozer, riding through is not an option anyway. The mud sticks to everything and I think at times even tries to pull your soul down with it. The rock gardens are tough but mostly manageable; but the punchy, relentless, ridiculously steep climbs just wear your legs out. On the bright side, it really is a good mental and physical test and I feel even more prepared for the rest of my season after finishing so well.

Heckling is way better with a bull horn

Fueling for 100 miles and 8 hours
My fuel plan for the day included two bottles at each of the drop bag/Aid station locations, one with either Perpetuem or a Sustained Energy/HEED combination and a bottle of Fizz. I also took BCAA+, Anti-Fatigue Caps and Energy Surge at each of the three stops and carried a flask of Hammer Gel in case I needed a few extra calories, but I did not end up using any of it. I may have also snagged a small cup or two of coke at an aid station and a bit of PB&J. In all I took in right around 1,400-1,500 calories during the day which put me right in that 175-185 calories per hour zone I function best at.

In just two short weeks I will be racing the Lumberjack 100 near Manistee, MI. I still do not think two weeks is enough time to recover from this race and line back up for another 100 miler, but with the way the NUE calendar is set up, these two found their way into my schedule yet again and I will make the best of it.


Strava Link
https://www.strava.com/activities/2415508906

Comments

Popular Posts